Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Runners Block

I realize that I haven’t written in awhile. I am still successfully completing each run and settling into a routine that works for me - both physically and mentally. Almost immediately upon arriving home I change and go run. I have learned from past experiences that once you sit down and enjoy a tv show or eat dinner it is far more difficult to find the motivation to pick yourself back up and get out the door for exercise. Then, later I am either devoting the rest of my day too my husband, step-son or my school work (I started a part-time continuing studies program in accounting this month). Now that I have convinced myself that I can reach this goal my desire to write about it has changed.

When I am running I often give thought to what my next post topic should be. Lately, I have been asking myself, “what more can I possibly say?” I put on my running clothes, sneakers, ball cap and watch. I watch the time and begin running when the clock turns to an exact minute; the first lap I run always includes a steep incline three blocks from the park, then I run laps around the park. When my time is up I stretch out my hamstrings and sometimes my arms and shoulders if they have a pinch or feel tight. I do this over and over again - what more can I say? 


After considering this for a week now, today I discovered the answer and it came to me through a conversation with my husband, N. I was in our living room telling him that I didn’t feel like doing the run today and I could rearrange the schedule in order to fit the run in on Friday. He wouldn’t have it. In fact he carried on to say that this afternoon he recieved an email notification that entry into a marathon for fall 2015 opened today and he pointed at me to acknowledge that he thought maybe I should give it a try. “You can do it if you want to,” he said. And he is completely right! I can take this new routine of running 4 times a week and take it to any level I like. My runs do not have to be the same laps every day at the exact same park. I can challenge my 5K run speed. I can attempt to run every 5K road race in the greater Vancouver area if I want to. I take just keep it to myself and run 4 pleasant runs around the park every week. I can try for a 10K or half-marathon. I could sign up for a marathon. The question has changed to, what isn’t there to write about?

No comments:

Post a Comment