Saturday, October 4, 2014

Race Ready

My 45 minute run could not have gone any better. Again I surprised myself. I really had to push on those last 10 minutes and there were a few minutes I thought a small pinch in my knee might cause me to stop. I pushed through and soon my knee felt normal again. At the time I thought that I might have to give it an ice after but forgot later in the day and it hasn't bothered me since.

I decided to run the 45 minutes in a new setting, hoping it would keep my attention away from the time and to ensure the whole length would be flat - no hills or surprises. I chose the seawall and it happened to be a sunny and warm fall afternoon. So the pathway was packed with other runners and people just having a nice walk. As some other runners went past me, my self-esteem was challenged a bit. I still felt like I had to be the slowest of the runners. I kept strong though and tried to keep my mind on achieving the full time. My thoughts bounced between overhearing people's conversations or watching the technique and stride of other runners. Over and over I told myself to just keep going. There was a bit of babble again but it was controlled and helped the time pass too.

Overall, the experience surprised me and I think it has changed how I see myself moving forward. I think that reaching the 45 minute mark without injury and exceeding 5K (I couldn't map out an exact distance but it was near 6.7 - 7K) completely changes my perspective on what I am capable of doing. I am not fast, I don't know if I have great technique or stride, but I am stronger than when I started.

I am going to take this 5K race and rock it.


No comments:

Post a Comment